Patio Contractors might help you well in masonry repairing while you need to look for few things if the repair is needed as bricks material is very durable with long life. Let’s have a look at some alert signs to consult a professional help.
Things to know about Patio construction
- Seepage Issues: If you can see seepage issues in walls then definitely it is a high time to have some repair. This leads to several type of damage in long run so it needs your attention timely.
- Cracks Formation: You must seek a help from masonry contractors if there are cracks in masonry as it needs immediate repair to prevent more damage that could occur following these cracks.
- Missing Mortar: Mortar needs timely maintenance as it can get weaken over time and needs to be looked after to prevent structural damage in the walls.
- Bulging of Bricks: It happens because of absorption of moisture in the bricks resulting in expansion or bulging of bricks. If this issue is not rectified on time, then you might face some structural damage in future.
- Efflorescence Building: It is a kind of white colored powder type build up over bricks which happens due to seepage or moisture inside walls as the fluid absorbs salt from mortar.
- Pores in Masonry: If you see pores in your masonry then you need to take action immediately again. Pores can lead to occurrence of seepage and structural issues so you need to make sure the type of material used in masonry.
Brick Work Defects in Masonry
Now let’s highlight some issues in brick work that leads to a further damage and needs to be addressed in the beginning as a measure of prevention.
- Shrinkage Problem: As any other substance, bricks work similarly by swelling when water is absorbed into them while they start shrinking after evaporation of water molecules. This phenomenon leads to the cracks in masonry which can be rectified by taking few precautions. Like, you may consult your patio contractor for a good quality bricks while you have to make sure to avoid moisture absorption.
- Salts Crystallization: If your bricks contain excessive soluble salts then you are very prone to salt crystallization defect. It is same as efflorescence when moisture in bricks dissolves the soluble salts and then these salts appears as a white crystal on bricks surface. As a result, brick surface gets disoriented giving overall ugly aesthetics. Your masonry contractors can help you to manage efflorescence by repeated washing and brushing of the affected area.
- Bloating and Spotting: Bricks may start to bloat when there are excessive carbonaceous matter and Sulphur present in the brick clay. While bricks get some dark colored spotting over the surface if there is iron sulphide present in the brick clay.
- Spalling: When bricks are exposed to high temperatures, it results in excessive heating of water or moisture inside bricks. This leads to explosion inside bricks causing breakages and de-shaping of bricks.
- Chuffing: It is a process of deformation of the shape of bricks resulted by rain falling over hot bricks.
- Sulphate Attack: Sulphate attack usually causes brick damages to the exposing walls like the boundary walls or the ones which are exposed to the outer environment. There are some sulphate salts present in bricks having high tendency to react with aluminum present in cement material. The mortar used in construction also contains hydraulic lime and this all leads to considerable increase in mortar volume. As a result, you face spalling of bricks, cracks in bricks, rendering and chipping in bricks. Sulphate attacks can also be prevented with the help of a patio contractor who may guide you to select the best suited material for bricks with proper construction of bricks.
- Inappropriate Joints between Bricks: There could be improper filling between bricks like some are left unfilled partially or some are filled with excessive material. Both cases lead to damage in brick work by affecting the strength of bricks and out stressing of bricks. You need to make sure with the help of your masonry contractor for proper filling between joints as per the requirement. This will ensure the bricks are not stressed out while the strength rate will also be as per desired level. lagrass